October 21, 2002.
Thanks from the Captain
To circumnavigate the world in a sailboat has been a lifelong dream. I want to express my thanks to the many people who helped make this dream a reality. My wife, Saundra, joins me in thanking everyone, however my biggest thanks goes to her, my First Mate and my Partner for almost 47 years for persevering over these last three years. My Partners at my law firm, Gray Harris & Robinson, PA, have been very supportive and, although I've been back in the office a total of thirteen months during this three year sailing odyssey, Tom Cloud, Fred Leonhardt, Stumpy Harris, Kent Hipp and other partners have not missed a beat servicing clients and filling in for me during my absence.
  October 20, 2002
The Trip is Over, Memories Last Forever
We are attempting to wind up the material for the web site. Going over logs and photos brings memories into a sharp focus again. These experiences will be part of things we learned and ways in which we grew as human beings.  
September 11, 2002.
Bahamas to Titusville
September 1, Vintage Airlines carried Saundra and I from Daytona to Marsh Harbor, Bahamas where we caught Aubrey's Ferry to Man-O-War Cay, Sea Gem's home for the last five months. There we had her bottom re-painted and other work done. Removing the Maxi-prop propellers, returning them to the manufacturer for reconditioning entails recording the exact pitch of these (automatically feathering propellers which reduce drag while under sail) and keeping track of which is the port and which the starboard prop for the purpose of reinstallation. We removed the worn out Spurs, which are the knives attached to each shaft just fore of the props. These cut lines and nets before they can wrap around the prop. These heavy-duty knives do a pretty good job but we had run over too many lines and nets during the last 16 years.
  March 24 - April 1, 2002.
The Homeward Run.
A granddaughter's eighth birthday is a strong magnet to pull grand parents toward home. Along with missing our family, we don't want to miss another of Caroline's birthdays. Charlie wants to get back to the office, as there are a lot of exciting things happening right now. We decided in Nevis, after the lobster sandwich, to cut our planned sail a month short and make a run for Man 'O War Cay in the Bahamas, 1000 miles distant. Although this is not technically home port, we have kept Sea Gem docked there so many seasons that every time we round the bend into Man 'O War Cay we feel like we are coming home. The plans now are to have Sea Gem hauled and have the bottom painted, a thru hull replaced and a few minor repairs. We will travel back to the boat as schedules permit and enjoy one of our favorite places on earth this summer. Then we will take Sea Gem back to her homeport of Titusville where we will begin doing some refitting after the very long and at times rough journey she has accomplished.  
  March 23, 2002. How Far Would YOU Go for A REALLY GOOD LOBSTER SANDWICH? Our friends Kyle and Steve Miller from Orlando joined us for a week. While they were with us, we visited Antigua, Barbuda, Nevis and St. Kitts (St. Christopher). One evening we went ashore for dinner and while strolling around in Charlestown we were referred to "UNELLA'S BY THE SEA" a restaurant on the second floor overlooking Charlestown Harbor in Nevis, W.I. That evening was memorable for several reasons: first we celebrated Charlie's birthday, second, the food, ambiance and waiter "ED" were excellent, and third we experienced the most beautiful and prolonged sunset we have ever seen.
  March 22, 2002
Sailing in the Caribbean is such a pleasure. The distances are not great, the sun is warm, the water clear, and each island has its own special character. One of the most delightful anchorages is Antigua. English Harbor is a delightful anchorage. You can walk across the isthmus to Falmouth Harbor which is much larger and more commercial. The fort is a fine example of the efforts made by the rival colonial powers to hold on to their conquests. The old fort is in good shape and has been remodeled to hold restaurants, gift shops and other business establishments.
  March 7 - 11, 2002
Guadeloupe and Iles de Saintes
Our friends Carmen Dominguez and Jim Cooper joined us for some sailing, relaxation and gourmet dining. Carmen is a world class cook and even brought her own ingredients with her on the trip. Besides having the treat of Carmen cooking we also ate in some fine restaurants on Iles de Saints and Guadeloupe. I believe one of the finest restaurants I have ever experienced is on the island of Guadeloupe, The Palms, French of course.
  February 28-March 4, 2002
When you find a place in the Paradise of the Caribbean that is not yet crowded with cruising boats there is a temptation to keep the news to yourself, hoping that it is not found before you get a chance to return for a longer visit.
February 25-28, 2002
We anchored in Marin Bay and launched our dingy.

During our short time in Martinique had a spare starter motor for the Yanmar reconditioned because our spare parts locker had salt water damage. We had to empty the locker and clean all the plastic zip lock bags, and any parts not in plastic had to be cleaned sorted and again stored for future use. A port hole not tightly dogged down can ship a lot of salt water in heavy seas. Charlie has carried so many spare parts and so much "back up" equipment we have been able to fix almost everything while on the trip.

February 16-24, 2002
A Visit From the Younger Set - Bequia, St.Vincent, Mustique and St. Lucia
Our Godson, Morgan Bentley, Charlie's partner Dean Cannon, and his wife Ellen, flew down to sail with us for a week. It was fun having them on the boat, especially since Dean and Ellen were celebrating their second wedding anniversary. Morgan's wife could not come and we missed her.

Feb. 12, 2002 NUTMEG on the Spice Island - GRENADA

It was easy for us to become fascinated with Grenada, the friendly people, the gentle climate, the beautiful water and the land of spices. For most of us spices signify the small sprinkle on our food, the compact little jars on the well-arranged shelves of the supermarket and the delightful odors that waft from a kitchen when something aromatic is simmering.

February 5, 2002
We sailed overnight to Carriacou and went ashore to check in and found the customs office was closed but we were assured by a taxi driver there would be no problem to go and have lunch and then come back to the office later. If no one was there then he would take us to the official's house. The cab driver took us to "John's Unique" restaurant where we had a good island lunch and started on our daily fare of callalou soup which we became quite addicted to while we were visiting in the islands.

January 29, 2002
Landfall - Barbados

At 04:25 Zulu, Bob Hall saw the first lights of Barbados. With the excitement of reaching land after twenty days at sea it was not long before we were all in the cockpit. After conferring with our boat buddies on Que Sera-Sera and Prince Karl, we followed their advice and headed for Port St. Charles to check in, rather than the capitol of Bridgetown.

  January 28, 2002
Crossing the Atlantic
Five souls, one boat, one departure and one destination. We have been together on a small boat for almost a month now. Each of us on this same crossing and yet each of us, I am sure, has a different perception of the trip. It would be hard to imagine finding a more compatible crew. Wylie and Jeff have sailed with us before. This is Jeff's second ocean crossing with us. His first was the Pacific. Wylie has been with us numerous times and he came aboard this time to make an ocean crossing. Bob has circumnavigated his own boat, Hornblower II and came aboard to get back into some blue water sailing.

January 24, 2002
Six Hundred Seventy-seven Miles To Go-Life in a Washing Machine

The weather has improved dramatically. I didn't do any writing on the computer for so many days because it was so rough all we could do was to hang on and try to rest between jobs. When it is rough sleep is difficult and you fall asleep for brief interludes just to be awakened again by the roll and pitch of the boat.

  January 8, 2002
Crew for the Journey
Our crew arrived in Lanzarote. Bob Hall arrived from Germany where he and his wife Judy had spent Christmas with their son and his family. Jeff Elledge and Wiley Hill arrived from Florida. By January 2, all five of us were on the boat and we left Lanzarote at 20:30 on a calm night and motored in a calm sea all the way to Las Palmas on Gran Canaria. We arrived at 14:00 and fueled up and were directed to a place on the wall to tie stern to.  

A Happy New Year to be Remembered

Two New Year's Eve celebrations stand out in my mind; The Millennium Celebration in Thailand, when the beautiful Thai Princess rode a costumed elephant through the revelers, and this year, when we shared a festive and very special dinner and celebration with Pepe Calero and his family in Lanzarote.

  December 27 - December 31, 2001 - Return to Sea Gem The trip might be deemed uneventful except for traveling with seven very large overweight luggage items. Our son John used Stacey's mega-large Chevy to transport us to the airport. Once there we checked in, were required to pay $330. overweight and then all bags were checked. We proceeded to the gate. Not so fast, a voice over the PA system announced, "Would Charles Gray please return to the Delta counter?" I waited with our large, camera filled, carry-on at the gate side Burger King. Charlie navigated back to the counter to find that one bag had to be divided to keep it from going over one hundred pounds. Now we have eight very large, over weight bags.

December 26, 2001
Seasons Greetings

We were bathed in a sense of gratitude for all our blessings this Christmas. I believe all Americans have re-prioritized since the tragic events of September 11. Being together, celebrating our holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas and looking forward to the coming year of 2002 we continue to count our blessings.

Sea Gem Log through August 7, 2001
A Safe Berth in Puerto Calero
Homecoming is sweet especially when it means being reunited with family. December will come quickly and we plan to be on the sea crossing the Atlantic.

July 28, 2001- August 1, 2001 "Captain's Log" / July 28, 2001- First Mate's Log . . .

We hurried to check out of Queensway Quay Marina, Gibraltar, so we would be able to arrive at Puerto Calero on Lanzarote, Canary Islands, in daylight. This leg of our voyage will take a little over four days to cover 600+ miles. We had a good weather report and hoped the weather would hold. Our sail to Lanzarote in 1992, on the America 500 Rally had been a hard one with forty-knot winds and twenty-foot seas.

July 22 - July 27, 2001
On to Gibralter
What a difference two days makes. We left Teulada in relatively calm seas, again setting out for our destination of Gibralter. This segment of the voyage has been blessedly uneventful. The weather has been mild and the stress level is low. Charlie has gotten the little water maker working beautifully at 7-8 gallons per hour, and we are full of good reverse osmosis water.
July 18 - July 22
Storms are better viewed in movie theaters.
We left the dock at Villasimus, on the southeast coast of Sardinia, July 18 at 13:40, figuring a daylight arrival in Gibralter if we averaged five and a half to six knots of speed. That afternoon we had a beautiful sail with a cool breeze, a beautiful sunset (02092 Sunset with Sardinia in background) and Charlie on the cell phone conducting business with the office. Cellular coverage in the Mediterranean Sea is excellent and the Europeans and Asians are far ahead of the US in cellular technology.
July 17, 2001
Silicy to Sardinia
We became firmly rooted to Govia Marina. We had five more coats of varnish applied to the bright work, Charlie stained the rub rail and we did some cleaning and organizing which we seldom take time to accomplish. This was a relaxed time which included visits with friends we had met on the Millennium Odyssey and the opportunity to meet more cruisers.
Friday the 13th - Captain's account Blue water sailing is not a stroll in the park. Interwoven with the beautiful sunrises, sunsets, exotic ports and dolphins at play are real hazzards. The weather is always there to challenge your plans, as are treacherous navigational problems. The one that makes my adrenalin flow boot up is the possibility of a collision at sea.
June 24, 2001
Checking in the Easy Way
We would like our crow with a nice Bearnaise Sauce, preferably in small bites. Charlie returned alone yesterday morning to go through what he expected would be another agonizing, slow and tedious process to check back into Greece. We had also conditioned ourselves to the fact we would have to again pay the cruising fee to get a new Transit Log issued.
June 14 through June 21, 2001
Corfu Greece,
We have been debating whether we want to keep Sea Gem in the Mediterranean for another year or take her home before the beginning of the next hurricane season. We have done a lot of soul searching and as much as we love exploring Europe we long to be back home without the worry of having Sea Gem so far away. Our plans to cruise the coast of Croatia is putting us on an extremely tight time table to accomplish this.
June 11-13, 2001
Skorpios, Levaks Town Greece
Reading the cruising guide advised that there would be repair services Levkas Town, about twenty miles away.
    Between Ithaca and Levkas lies the renowned island of Skorpios made famous by the Greek shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis. We circled the island and took photos. The Onassis estate still owns the island, no one is allowed ashore but you can anchor and swim up to the beach, you cannot go above the high water mark. Aristotle Onassis, his sister, his son and his daughter are buried on the island. Perhaps, finally there is peace that money and prestige could not find in this life.
June 10-11, 2001
Crisis on the Quay-Ithaca
Reading Homer's Odyssey, thumbing through Rod Heikell's Greek Waters Pilot , and checking out our travel guide books, we decided to go into the small port at Fenike on the Island of Ithaca. Do you ever wonder why Odysseus had so many problems? Maybe we have some clues.
June 6, 2001
Limeni, Greece
Releasing the bow line from the underwater block was not as easy as planned, so Charlie had a very early, very chilly swim to get it done. He checked on that first, while our anchor was still in place so that we could effect our departure from Monemvasia smoothly. Other than that we slipped away quietly at 6:30 AM, to continue our way around the southern capes of the Peloponnisos.
June 6, 2001
Monemvassia-The Greek Gibralter
We regret laziness and fatigue prevented us from exploring this beautiful Byzantine town. Our views were all from the delightful village of Gefyra as we did not summon the energy to walk to the rock and climb to see the Church of Agia Sophia and the Venetian fortress. Possibly the bad weather had taken more of a toll than we thought. Now that we have left, we regret not having really explored the area. Time and energy are two important commodities essential to being a successful traveler. The regular routines of life and boat management take both time and energy.
May 28 - June 5, 2001
Bozukale, Kos, Monemvasia Greece
From May 28, when we left Marmaris we have anchored in some delightful bays. The first place we pulled in, Bozukale, was the same place we had moored before. The small village has put down some good moorings and the magnetic pull of a natural harbor draws the yachts. The young man to whom we had given diesel fuel on our last visit came out to welcome us. He offered to row us in for Turkish tea or coffee and did not want to take payment for the mooring. On this stop a local woman, rowed around in a small boat by a man, was selling handmade items. She scaled the side of Sea Gem like a monkey despite her rather hefty frame. We figure anyone working that hard to make a sale deserves a buyer, so we added to our collection. The rest of the boats there were German charters who I doubt were receptive to the local wear.
May 25, 2001
Marmaris is a comfortable place.The marina is secure, well maintained and the facilities of Gina Marina Technique areexcellent. Sea Gem has been in good hands for our repairs. Parts were ordered and received for the heads. A new VHF antenna has been installed and is working well. The single side band is now in service due to the expertise of Sami, an able and expert technician.
May 21, 2001
Westward Bound
The Eastern Mediterranean Yacht Rally (EMYR) covered the entire coast of Turkey ending at the eastern port of Mersin, stopping only at fine marinas or major ports. Now we retrace our route by visiting interesting coves and villages.
May 20, 2001
We bade good-bye to the E.M.Y.R. participants headed for their first port in Syria. Leaving the rally was a decision we made so that we could spend more time in Turkey. We wanted an unhurried schedule, especially a leisurely trip to Cappadocia.
May 4, until May 13, 2001
Mersin, Turkey

Since we joined the East Mediterranean Yacht Rally in Kusadasi we have visited marinas in:
Bodrum, Orhaniye, Gocek, Finike, Antalya, Kemer, Girne, (North Cyprus) and Mersin. Each facility was modern, well maintained and each welcomed us with grand hospitality. So far we have always Med-moored with a mooring at the bowdrawn tight and the stern secured to the quay.

April 22, 2001
From Marmaris to Kusadasi
We left Marmaris April 9 and checked into Kusadasi on April 12. Turkish regulations make cruising the coast simple, for you do not have to formally check into each town. The marina is nice here, close to town and from here we have toured Epheses, one of the premier archeological sites of the world. We visited the last home of the Virgin Mary where John took her after the crucifixion. We have flown to Istanbul to absorb as much of that magnificent city as possible in a limited time.
April 6, 2001 We left Orlando International on March 29 with the help of our son, John. We had six large items to check, two of which were the hard plastic snap lock containers full of boat parts, spares and replacements including raw water pumps, gaskets, filters and of course new books, CDs, and video tapes. The carry on baggage contained the two lap-top computers we carry as back-up to the desk top aboard.
July into August, 2000 We left the island of Patmos and sailed to Kos, the island of Hippocrates.  Kos is a Mecca for young, active tourists who enjoy water sports, especially wind surfing.  Our anchorage  put us "on site"  to watch and enjoy all the activity.  We read in some of the cruising guides to avoid Kos for it is too noisy and too "busy."   We enjoyed the activity and if we had been there just a little longer probably would have opted for a para-sail trip.  We have done just enough wind surfing to appreciate the skill of  some of the surfers and the agony of those attempting it for the first time.  The winds were pretty high part of the time, which made it especially difficult for beginners. 

July 13 through 16, 2000
Patmos The Island of the Revelation

Patmos is called the Mount Sinai of Greece, for there St. John heard the voice of God directing him to write the last book of the New Testament, the book of Revelations.  In 1995 a major celebration was held on the island to commemorate the 1900 years since the book was written

 July 9 through July 13, 2000

Mykonos, a tourist island dedicated to the care and feeding of the hoards that descend by air and by ship.  We enjoyed being docked at the new quay, port side to, instead of being stern to as you are usually docked in the Mediterranean.

July 2 through July 9, 2000
Back in Santorini

Once you have seen Santorini the image remains.  The views from every angle are spectacular, the light is so brilliant that the stark white of the walls almost throbs.  Flowers and vivid trim add splashes of color against the white.  The textured terra cotta, ochre and grays of the vertical  cliffs jutting from the dark translucent blue of the Mediterranean make this island one to put on the "must see" list for any fortunate enough to visit the Greek islands. While moored we awaken to this view from our bed through the aft companionway. Of course, like many wonderful places, you must share Santorini with other tourists.  Being a tourist Mecca also means that all the conveniences are there.

Nisyros, Astapalaia and Anafi -
Islands in Greece
June 23 to July 1, 2000

Photo Log

We move from island to island by whim, reading ahead in the guide books to see what sounds interesting.  The capitol of the island, Nisyros, is Limin Mandraki, but we decided to go into the small port of Paloi about two miles east of the capitol.  Paloi has a good harbor where you Med. moor or tie stern to the quay (as usual).  The picturesque village hugs the harbor.

Karpathos - June 15 - June 21, 2000

Photo Log

 It was not easy to leave  Agios Nikolaos Marina.  Even after the boat next to us was blown up, we felt very comfortable there.  We had gotten to know people in town, the streets were familiar, we knew the people in our favorite stores and staff of the Internet Cafe had become so friendly they even knew how we liked our coffee.  Charlie arranged to get thirty-five kilos of olive oil from a local store, and the arrangements for that took some doing on his part.  We are totally sold on Greek olive oil, particularly from Crete.  I wonder if just tastes so good because we are here in Greece?  (1741 Agios Nikolaos Marina from the beach)

Awakened!! -- May 26, 2000

Four-forty five AM Charlie was awakened by a loud boom.  Suspicions confirmed; I can sleep through almost anything.  He took a flashlight and went on deck to look around.  Everything seemed to be OK but he kept going back to shine the light and check around our boat.

A trip to Santorini - May 12 through May 21, 2000

Highlights of our journey are visits from friends from home, and Kyle and Steve Miller's visit was a special treat.  Steve and Kyle are from Orlando and they have been aboard Sea Gem in several wonderful locations for both cruising and fishing.  The Greek Islands have to be close to the pinnacle of places visited for  shear exotic beauty.

Rome -- April 21 -- 27, 2000

The whirlwind, mind expanding tour of Israel  was over.  We headed for the closing ceremonies in Rome, covering the miles by air instead of by sea. We left Sea Gem in Crete so that we could fly back after our tour of Israel, and trip to Rome, and be free to cruise some of the Greek Islands. 

April 12 until April 21, 2000

 Israel, the womb of  major religions, the rugged land watered with the blood of generations struggling for possession of this real estate; struggling with their relationship to the Creator.  Israel, a land that extracts powerful feelings from each who makes a pilgrimage there.  No one walks away untouched.  No one escapes the power of this place.  Why Israel?  Why is this piece of earth so saturated with all that is relevant to our humanity?

 Apr 12,  2000

My introduction to the Red Sea was from my seventh floor balcony of the Hurghada Hilton following an hour plane ride from Cairo.  On opening the sliding glass doors the gusts of strong northeast winds disheveled everything in my hotel room. It was a sign of things to come

March 28, through April 1, 2000

 We made arrangements with our agent, Prince of the Red Sea, to book a tour for us into Cairo.  After our trip to Luxor from Safaga in a very cramped van Charlie specifically asked for a vehicle with more room.

March 26, 27 and 28

Charlie's birthday went by with little fanfare in a flurry of getting ready to leave for Port Suez.  Charlie and Clay dropped Jeannette me off at the internet cafe, which in Safaga is the place people go to smoke water pipes.

March 22, 2000

Clay Henderson arrived in Safaga while we were still tied up waiting for fuel to be delivered.  He had a bit of a hassle getting into the port but thanks to his portable VHF  Charlie was able to go to immigration and get him admitted to the port.  By the time we got fuel it was almost dark and we left the dock to go to the anchorage about two and a half miles away.

March 6 through March 10, 2000

0700 the morning of March 6th we left Sea Gem to begin our inland adventure into Ethiopia. We took Jeannette with us and also in our party were: Victor and Helen, from Pilar G; Harry and Carla, from Die Swanne; Thomas, from Polly; and Brad and Rosie, from Foxy Lady.

March 3 through March 13, 2000

Arrival in Djibouti was smoothed considerably by being part of the Millennium Odyssey Rally.  Jamaica Tom was already on the scene.  The  Djibouti Yacht Club welcomed us into their facilities. The yacht club secretary, Christine, is an asset.

February 25, 2000

 This is a special day for us, our youngest granddaughter's first birthday.  We miss being there to celebrate this big event.  Savannah will not remember that we were not there, but we will.

February 23,  2000

We talk a lot about food, eating and shopping for food.  Of course, on a voyage, mealtime is important.  It is a focal point of an otherwise round the clock existence.

February 29, 2000

 Our tranquillity was shattered.  We escalated from calm to tension instantly.

February 27. 2000

 Early this morning about 0300 our small fleet of six boat were all trying to find our way out of the maze of a fishing net running for miles.  The net, or nets, are strung tightly with floats on the surface and the top line is of extremely large diameter.  The first night Sea Gem passed over the net and did not get caught.

February 23, 2000

We float through the cobalt blue Arabian Sea day after day.  The weather has been benign and the winds light.  We rendezvoused with our friends on Pimalo, Que Sera, Sera, Prince Karl, as we all waited for Stampede to catch us.

February 17 & 18, 2000

Our agent, Mr. Remmeriz, from Maldives National Shipping, Ltd. came out to  the boats with all of our clearance papers.  They are sticklers here for regulations and papers and Mr. R will probably be glad when we are all gone.  We were supposed to come and go through customs each time we went ashore

February 16, 2000

"What a difference a day makes. . ." Yesterday we were talking  Valentine's, candlelight and roses; today we are anxiously awaiting news of the extent of Joe's injuries.

Leg to Djibouti

This will be our last opportunity to send material to the web site before we head off to Djibouti.  The leg to Djibouti is 2,000 miles and the one with many warnings about pirates.  That is the reason we are going in convoy.

Laguna Beach

Still anchored here at Laguna Beach.  Today we snorkeled on the other side of the island and saw sea turtles, a moray eel and lots of the reef fish that are so abundant here


Since we arrived on January 28, we have enjoyed three anchorages and familiarized ourselves with getting back and forth to Male' for shopping, hot mail and business

Island of Male

The anchorages around the island of Male' are very limited.  The water is very deep, (over one hundred and fifty feet) almost everywhere and the small enclosed harbors are for specific boats.

More Sri Lanka

The last two days we spent in Galle, Sri Lanka were busy trying to get everything finished.  We thought we had the refrigeration fixed but have now determined that we need a new motor which we are having shipped in from the US to the Maldives.


In a limited amount of time and space I want to give you some impressions of Sri Lanka. 


"I believe life is a gift and should be experienced to the fullest."
- Sandra Dale Cook

Into Sri Lanka

I hadn't planned on adding another log but after the experience of clearing  into Sri Lanka and the storm we experienced last night I felt I really had to put it down while still fresh. 

Galle in Sri Lanka

We went into town to continue our quest to repair the refrigeration and to find an Internet to check our e-mail...

Sri Lanka

We arrived in Galle, in Sri Lanka at 03:45 local time.  Captain Charlie maneuvered us into the designated night anchorage and dropped the anchor...

Cooking Chores

Having Sandra aboard has livened up this  leg of our trip.  We have also had excellent weather with steady winds...

Leaving Thailand

Leaving Thailand  we set our course through the Andaman Sea to cut through Sombrero Passage in the Nicobar Islands and thence on toward Sri Lanka.

Northern Thailand

The only night we spent in Bangkok we went to a  traditional Thai dance performance which was beautifully costumed and performed-and definitely for the tourists.

Solved Mystery

Today has been glorious.  Don arranged for two of the long tailed boats to take us on an excursion.

Phi Phi Island

We are here on Phi Phi Don Island and plan to spend today and tomorrow here in this anchorage.  We cruised by some absolutely spectacular scenery yesterday and took a few pictures so that you can share the lovely scenes

Rebak Marina

Rebak Marina is a beautiful new marina still under construction.  When it is finished it will include  residential and commercial development as well as the resort and marina.


The rains come often and hard in Maylasia.  The water is much clearer and it is wonderful to be able to swim close to the boat.  We have done some snorkeling and seen the lovely fish and coral formations.

To Langkawi

It is hard for me not to be apprehensive about traveling up the infamous Malaka Strait


Happy Thanksgiving! We are still at dockside in Singapore awaiting the radar people to come aboard and commission the new radar and hook up the repeater unit in the cockpit.

A Fine City

It is hard to get your arms or your mind wrapped around Singapore.   There are many slogans that Singaporians are quick to refer to, such as:  "Singapore is a fine city - there is a fine for everything."


Still in Singapore, we planned a trip to Malaka today in Malaysia, but have decided not to go due to all that is going on here at the boat.

Fixing the Boat

We are experiencing having a boat repaired in all languages.  The port engine has been the challenge.  Parts had to be ordered from the US.  I hope when they get here they will be the right ones.

The Slick Tale

The downside of Bali was the uninvited guest that we took aboard. We had been warned by the previous fleet of Millennium Odyssey Yachts that two boats had gotten rats aboard.

Faces of Bali

I do not know of a place we have visited, about which I have more mixed emotions.  Contrasts are dramatic, beauty/ disorder,  elegance and squalor.

Darwin to Bali

Our stay in Darwin was split between two locations for the boat.  We were first at Sadgrove Quay, where before and after having Sea Gem hauled, we were on a mooring.

Litchfield National Park

Litchfield National Park in the Northern Territory is a relatively new National Park and very popular with the locals.  Camping is popular in Australia as well as bush walking and general outdoor activities.


The days since we arrived in Darwin have been packed with activity.

To Darwin

Charlie seriously studied the tide charts and patterns to ascertain the proper time to transit the  various passes on the way to Darwin.

Escape River

The jarring impact shook  Charlie and I from sound sleep and knocked us to the floor as our world turned  sideways.  We struggled to gain enough footing for Charlie to scramble on deck and find out what had happened.

Coral Coast

When you are visualizing our passage many of you may think we are close to the other participants in the rally.  Most of the time when we are under way we are alone.  On this part of the Coral Coast of Australia we are really alone.

Lizard Island

Lizard Island (or Jiigurru as named by the Dingaal Aboriginal people) has been an important place for tens of thousands of years.

Leaving the Dock

We finally left the dock at Yorkey's Knob after many delays, the last of which was having to get a new "mother board" for our desk top computer.

Cairns City

The City of Cairns is the most popular entry point for yachts coming in from the South Pacific.

Back to Australia

Leaving home was hard for we miss family and friends almost before we are gone.  Excitement  and jet lag are both good antidotes to feelings and a twenty-eight hour flight has a way of taking priority in your mind.  

Going Home

Up at 0300 to get to the Cairns Airport for the first leg of our journey home.  We flew from Cairns to Sydney, Sydney to LA and LA to Orlando in one continuos trip.

Passage to Caines, Australia

We (Charlie and I) have been at sea since July 28, when we left Santo for this passage to Caines, Australia.  The passage has been rough.


The sail from Epi to Pentecote was ideal.  We (John and Barbara Koenig, Tom Williams, Charlie and I) arrived on the western shore of Pentecote at mid afternoon.

July 22,1999
Reflection by: John Koenig.

 The seas were calm and the trade winds warm and gentle on the evening we weighed anchor for the island of Epi.
My wife Barbara and I shared the midnight-to-4 a.m. watch, while the rest of the crew slept below. 

Friends arrive from the US

Having guests arriving from the states after such a long time put us into a state of real excitement.

From Tonga To Fiji

At 0800 we left the lovely anchorage in the tranquil cove on the west side of Kapa for the beginning of our trip to Fiji

Leaving Tonga

It is easy to fall in love with Tonga. The landscape is beautiful and the people are gentle and friendly.

The Kingdom of Tonga

The first task for entering any county is to clear through customs and immigration.  World Cruising has made arrangements for all the officials to come to the anchorage at the Royal Sunset

French Polynesia

We have cruised through French Polynesia from one lovely anchorage to the next, visited the islands and walked through the towns.  Each island has its own ambiance and each anchorage is a new experience.

Papeete, Tahiti

We left the atoll of Rangiroa to be able to arrive in Papeete during daylight hours.  You never want to enter a strange port in darkness.  We had excellent wind  and our time was much faster than we expected.


The morning after the waterfall exploration we found our joints could still move and so we took off early to head for the Tuamotus.  Charlie had figured our timing so that we would arrive at our destination with daylight.

Nuka Hiva / Nuka HivaWatefall
Yesterday we left Baie de Taiohae on Nuku Hiva and traveled just a few miles east to Baie du Controleur.
Ua Pou / Nuka Hiva
Traveling from Hiva Oa we stopped in a delightful anchorage at Tahuatu where we swam in lovely clean water, washed the Sea Gem and enjoyed being away from a port atmosphere.
Hiva Oa

While on Hiva Oa we took a tour with Jean-Marie Otomimi who is a renowned local sculptor.

We have not conquered the Pacific; we have tiptoed lightly across her surface. Gently ever so gently, we quietly passed across her great vastness thankful for the safe and uneventful passage

Five Miles To Go

Only four hundred and ninety five miles to go to Hiva Oa.  For the first time since the Galapagos we have another Millennium Yacht in sight.

Blue Water Sailing

One of the very difficult aspects of blue water sailing is being so totally removed from family and the people you love...

Toward Hiva Oa

Our wind has held up and we are rolling on toward Hiva Oa at sometimes up to ten knots.


The weather has turned stormy again.  We experience intermittent rain with squalls overlaying the steady twenty to twenty-five knot winds.


EASTER, and here we are in the middle of the Pacific.  Today is a beautiful day, the rain has stopped and we are under full sail.

Galapagos Adventures

Friday night was the prize giving and farewell dinner.  It was preceded by a party where they did something we had never seen before.


Friday night was the prize giving and farewell dinner.  It was preceded by a party where they did something we had never seen before.

Catch up log

When I left Salinas on 9 March to fly home I knew we would have separate adventures for a time.  Now I am back aboard the Sea Gem with a comfortable crowned tooth and lots of news.

Panama Canal Zone

The trip was largely uneventful except for our freezer going out.  Fortunately, Hornblower II had their freezer and we did mid-sea of much of the food.

Savannah Lynn

Savannah Lynn Gray was born at 18:33 on  February 25, 1999  to grateful parents Stacey and John Gray.

A New Life

Today is a big day for us, waiting for the birth of  a grandchild, Stacey and John's baby, and transiting the Panama Canal.

"Canal Transit and Tour of Colon"
2/ 23/99

After the captain's briefing  yesterday Tom Williams took Bruce, Kent and I into town to pick up some fruit and to take a little tour of Colon.

11:00 hours.

When we returned from our fine outing it was time for the captain's meeting and sailing instructions. Tom Wiilliams presided over the small gathering and in it was carried on with all seriousness and gravity as if we were getting ready for The America's Cup, instead of four comfort laden cruising boats captained and crewed by a group of people who have all been solicited for membership by AARP. The start was discussed and rediscussed and noon was designated as the time. After the meeting was adjourned the Montego Bay Yacht Club hosted us to an informal party with hors d' oeuvres for all gathered including the Mayor of Montego Bay and his wife.


When we returned from our fine outing it was time for the captain's meeting and sailing instructions. Tom Wiilliams presided over the small gathering and in it was carried on with all seriousness and gravity as if we were getting ready for The America's Cup, instead of four comfort laden cruising boats captained and crewed by a group of people who have all been solicited for membership by AARP. The start was discussed and rediscussed and noon was designated as the time. After the meeting was adjourned the Montego Bay Yacht Club hosted us to an informal party with hors d' oeuvres for all gathered including the Mayor of Montego Bay and his wife.

from Montego Bay Jamaica

We had a wonderful trip yesterday to one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Years ago Charlie and I saw Dunn's River Falls and we were so enchanted that we hesitated to go back, knowing that growth and crowds change places, and that the totally natural place we saw in 1962 is now developed into a major tourist attraction. We went instead to YS Falls which is on a privately owned cattle ranch .

The cruising lifestyle

It's easy to fall into the easy rhythm of the cruising lifestyle.

The Day of the Fish

February 5th we caught four beautiful Mahi Mahi, the smallest about fifteen to seventeen pounds,  the largest about twenty five pounds

Pineapple Cup
Race from Ft. Lauderdale to Jamaica


Adrenalin pumps and pulse quickens when you approach the starting line of a race, even if you are in “The Cruising Class” of sailboats.

From Titusville to Ft. Lauderdale

Action is everywhere: on sidewalks there are  in-line skaters, bicyclists, walkers, runners, and strollers.

 First leg of the Millennium Odyssey

Preparations for our first passage, from Ft. Lauderdale to Jamaica.

Going and Leaving

 Moored at The Titusville Municipal Marina.